The Foster Lumber Company
owned a portion of the tract of land that was later deve
loped into the
community of Kingwood. The Foster Family had owned the land since around
1892. The land was sold to the joint venture between King Ranch
and the Friendswood Development Company on December 28, 1967.
The historic King Ranch was one of the original developers of the Kingwood community, and was part of a joint venture with the Friendswood Development Company
to develop the (then empty) tract of land that is now Kingwood.
The historic King Ranch, the "Birthplace of American Ranching,"
is one of the largest and oldest active ranches in the United States.
Founded in 1853, King Ranch was created after Captain Richard King
traveled north from Brownsville to attend the Lone Star Fair in Corpus
There is also a link to Exxon in Kingwood's history: