Recipe of the Day:
Cuke amd Melon Soup with Crab
Submitted by: Monster
quarts roughly chopped, peeled and seeded English cucumbers
1 quart roughly chopped, peeled and seeded ripe honeydew melon
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon sugar
1/3 cup light cream
salt to taste
1/8 teaspoon hot sauce
10 ounces fresh picked, steamed crab meat
3/4 cup seeded and diced yellow and/or red tomato
1/2 cup diced ripe (yet still firm) avocado
2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon (or basil)
Garnish: fresh herb sprigs
1. Add the cucumbers, melon, 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice and the sugar to a food processor and puree until smooth.
2. Strain through a medium strainer pushing down on the solids with a rubber spatula to extract as much liquid as possible.
3. Stir in the cream and season to taste with salt and hot sauce. You should end up with about 1 quart of soup. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
4. Gently combine the crab, tomato, avocado and herbs. Season to taste with salt, hot sauce and lemon juice.
5. To serve: Gently press the crab mixture into a 1/4 cup measuring cup and unmold in the center of a large, flat soup plate. Ladle the chilled cucumber mixture around and garnish with herbs.
Serving Size: 1 cup