Recipe of the Day:
Cranberry-Citrus Relish with Pomegranate and Tequila
Submitted by: Monster
"I gotta confess: I find this sprightly, tingly mixture ever so much more interesting than cranberry goop out of the can, The poms can be a hassle, but they are worth it!"
1 pound fresh cranberries
1/4 cup tequila
6 tablespoons sugar
1. Remove or grate peel from the limes and from 2 of the oranges, making sure to leave the white pith behind. Very finely mince the peels. Reserve.
2. Squeeze out the juice from the limes and the 2 peeled oranges. Reserve.
1. In a medium-size saucepan combine the minced peels, lime juice, orange juice, cranberries, tequila, and sugar. Cover the saucepan with a lid, place over heat, bring to a boil, and let boil rapidly for 8 minutes. Place mixture in mixing bowl and let cool to room temperature.
2. Peel the 4 remaining oranges and separate them into segments. Remove as much membrane and pith as possible. Cut the segments in half. Add segments to the cooled cranberry mixture.
3. Cut the pomegranates in half and remove the seeds with a spoon. Try not to crush the seeds while separating them from the white membrane. Make sure to leave any membrane or white part behind. Using a rubber spatula, combine seeds gently with the cranberry mixture. Chill and serve.
Note: This relish can be made the day before serving.